
I've realised something today that really made me wonder. Why am I partial to anything Malaysian? Until recently, I've always considered KL as my second home eventhough I've never actually stayed there for more than 2 weeks at a time. I'm a sentimental fool, that's what I am. My affair with this country started way back, during my second year at university (10 years ago... wooaa!!! Am I THAT old??!!!)....
I was a volunteer for an ASEAN University Sport Games thingy, hosted by my U and I was the liason officer for the Malaysian students contingency. In the old days, I was quite awestruck by their personality. I mean, the way they talk and act seems so familiar, its like watching a Malaysian TV drama unfold live in front of me. Anyway, they've proven that they're just normal kids exactly like myself, out to have some fun and try to finish their courses as fast as possible which translates to 'start work immediately'. My friendship with them grew from there and although most of it only lasted a maximum of 2 years (distance and time does that to relationships yah?) , they've lodged a lasting impression in my heart; of how mature and friendly Malaysians can be.
When I moved to a new uni in UK during my third year, I discovered a new revolution; mirc and internet chatting!!! I must say through it all I've managed to gain more friends and its of no surprise that most of them are Malaysian friends!!! And unlike the previous 'affair', this time round I managed to hold onto some of them till now; 9 years later (by the way, this still remain a record for me as I tend to move on as my life progresses)!!! Zila and Anis (if you're reading this), I really value your friendships and perseverence in tolerating my bouts of silence over the past 9 years. Both of you are like sisters I've never had and I will always love you to bits!!
The introduction of Akademi Fantasia 3 years ago led me to http://sultanmuzaffar.blogspot.com . This site opened up a whole new dimension to me; its informative and it brought along a sense of community within the fellow readers, commentors and bloggers. With my reasonable command of the Malaysian dialect, I managed to feel like I belong though its not as easy as my previous 'affair' in that work and family commitments restricted me from really getting 'into' it. Despite that and of course, the continuous inability to join in the gatherings of the 'community' that has cropped up from this site, I've always felt the sense of belonging... that I am one of them.
So what happened? I guess the inevitable happened. When groups of inviduals and personalities clashed, with all parties involved felt they've been wronged... the strongest of friendship will sooner or later falter, let alone minor acquaintances. Only time will tell whether the strength of friendship will persevere in the end.
Thus all that I can say is, 'Precaution is better than rectification'. And I believe if only we manage to uphold these three factors, 'Respect other people's opinion; Compromise; Put yourselves in other people's shoes', then any sort of rifts will definitely be eluded.
Thank you to those that has helped and guided me back to reality in the midst of all this huhaa. You know who each one of you are... thank you so much for making me feel right at home again.
I was a volunteer for an ASEAN University Sport Games thingy, hosted by my U and I was the liason officer for the Malaysian students contingency. In the old days, I was quite awestruck by their personality. I mean, the way they talk and act seems so familiar, its like watching a Malaysian TV drama unfold live in front of me. Anyway, they've proven that they're just normal kids exactly like myself, out to have some fun and try to finish their courses as fast as possible which translates to 'start work immediately'. My friendship with them grew from there and although most of it only lasted a maximum of 2 years (distance and time does that to relationships yah?) , they've lodged a lasting impression in my heart; of how mature and friendly Malaysians can be.
When I moved to a new uni in UK during my third year, I discovered a new revolution; mirc and internet chatting!!! I must say through it all I've managed to gain more friends and its of no surprise that most of them are Malaysian friends!!! And unlike the previous 'affair', this time round I managed to hold onto some of them till now; 9 years later (by the way, this still remain a record for me as I tend to move on as my life progresses)!!! Zila and Anis (if you're reading this), I really value your friendships and perseverence in tolerating my bouts of silence over the past 9 years. Both of you are like sisters I've never had and I will always love you to bits!!
The introduction of Akademi Fantasia 3 years ago led me to http://sultanmuzaffar.blogspot.com . This site opened up a whole new dimension to me; its informative and it brought along a sense of community within the fellow readers, commentors and bloggers. With my reasonable command of the Malaysian dialect, I managed to feel like I belong though its not as easy as my previous 'affair' in that work and family commitments restricted me from really getting 'into' it. Despite that and of course, the continuous inability to join in the gatherings of the 'community' that has cropped up from this site, I've always felt the sense of belonging... that I am one of them.
So what happened? I guess the inevitable happened. When groups of inviduals and personalities clashed, with all parties involved felt they've been wronged... the strongest of friendship will sooner or later falter, let alone minor acquaintances. Only time will tell whether the strength of friendship will persevere in the end.
Thus all that I can say is, 'Precaution is better than rectification'. And I believe if only we manage to uphold these three factors, 'Respect other people's opinion; Compromise; Put yourselves in other people's shoes', then any sort of rifts will definitely be eluded.
Thank you to those that has helped and guided me back to reality in the midst of all this huhaa. You know who each one of you are... thank you so much for making me feel right at home again.
2 comments:
nothing is wrong with you dear...tapi tak tau lah kalau ko dah jadik giler since campur ngan kitaorang ekekekekeke....
me like 3R...respond, relax, respect...that's what friendships more valuable.. :-)
Giler tu tak lah kot sebab aku memang dah giler dari azali lagi... hahaha... macam-macam giler aku ada, giler sopan, giler blue, giler xxx pun aku ada.. cuma aku tak tunjuk jer sebab baru tahap nak kenal kan... konon kasi tunjuk yg sopan jer dulu... lama nanti haa.. baru tunjuk yg ganas..
Post a Comment